John Maxwell Profiles in Leadership: Peter – Plunge In
This is the fifth lesson in bestselling author and speaker John Maxwell’s Leadership by the Bible series. If you know someone or a group who would like to follow along on this journey through Scripture, tell them to sign up to receive John’s free email devotional here.
By John C. Maxwell
Was Peter battling disappointment and discouragement over failing the Lord as he fished fruitlessly all night long? Did he feel he lacked the courage or right to be a leader of Jesus’ disciples?
It didn’t matter—everything changed when Jesus showed up and Peter plunged into the water. By diving out of that boat, it was like Peter was saying:
- I’ve thought about it long enough.
- I’ve let it eat me up long enough.
- I’m tired of living like this.
- I’m ready to leave my past behind.
Peter was ready to take the plunge and start serving Christ well.
How can you make that all-important turn? Learn from what Jesus said to Peter:
- “Do you love Me?” (v. 16). Wake up to your problem. As a spiritual leader, you regain influence when you return to loving Jesus first and foremost.
- “Do you love Me more than these?” (v. 15). Make up your mind to focus on Christ. Don’t waste time comparing yourself to others. Focus solely on following Jesus and doing what he requires of you.
- “Feed My sheep” (v. 17). Take up your ministry. Love Jesus by serving and loving others.
- “You follow Me” (v. 22). Let Jesus lead. Get up, be obedient to Jesus’ calling, and give him control of your agenda.
The above is adapted from The Maxwell Leadership Bible / Third Edition by John C. Maxwell (@JohnCMaxwell). Copyright © 2002, 2007, 2018 by Maxwell Motivation, Inc. Used by permission of Thomas Nelson. www.thomasnelson.com.
[Read the Bible Gateway Blog post, The Maxwell Leadership Bible Achieves One Million Units Sold]
Dive deep into Scripture by becoming a member of Bible Gateway Plus. Try it free right now!
The post John Maxwell Profiles in Leadership: Peter – Plunge In appeared first on Bible Gateway Blog.
March 04, 2021
March 02, 2021
March 01, 2021